Celtic Women prevailed over their bitter rivals, Rangers in front of 10 and a half thousand fans at Hampden to claim a second straight Women’s Scottish Cup title.

Jacynta Galabadaarachchi had the first chance of the game for Celtic as she struck the bar with a curled effort straight from a corner. The hoops were the more dominant side in the opening half as they didn’t allow their opponents much possession and continually tested the Rangers defence.

Chloe Craig came close to opening the scoring for Celtic as she flicked Natasha Flint’s headed effort just wide of the post from close range. Shen Menglu had the best chance in the first half though as she robbed Hannah Davison of possession and broke in on net, but her shot dragged just wide.

Both sides went into the half-time break tied at 0-0 but with Fran Alonso’s side looking the strongest.

Jacynta once again came agonisingly close to giving her side the lead when she slipped in behind the Rangers backline and had free-reign of the box, but she couldn’t steer her shot on target. Celtic grabbed the opening goal of the game after Esson’s clearing punch fell to Craig which was directed on net before Flint smashed it in to put the Ghirls ahead.

Tempers flared on the pitch shortly after as Rangers’ captain, Kathryn Hill barged into the back of Kit Loferski before Caitlin Hayes squared up to the light blues’ skipper. Hill was booked for her foul on Loferski while Hayes went unpunished.

Just three minutes after bagging the opener, Hayes doubled Celtic’s advantage as she got on the end of Jacynta’s corner and looped her header over the Rangers defence and into the net. Rangers tried to respond quickly though as Kirsty Howat attempted to chip Celtic ‘keeper, Pamela Tajoner, but the Mexican managed to snuff it out.

The light blues were then left dismayed after Laura Berry slipped the ball into the net to halve the Hoops’ lead before being thwarted by the linesman’s flag. Rangers wouldn’t test the Celtic back line again as the game ended with a 2-0 win for Celtic, securing them a second straight Women’s Scottish Cup.

Fran Alonso and his side went onto enjoy the celebrations at Hampden as they round off a gruelling season with a meaningful win.