We had 3 – 4 mile through the streets of Glasgow when we arrived at our first pit stop ( Asda Robroyston). Some made use of the facilities, Others had nips of whiskey from their hip flasks.


At this point I would to thank one of the whiskey drinkers (Gary Porter). I learned a great lesson from Gary over I the weekend which I feel I should share: Gary informed me that “a can Strongbow is part of your five a day because each tin contains at least three apples”.

Once everyone was refreshed it was onwards to the canal path. I can honestly say that was first and last time I will walk along this path. I have seen enough trees and water to last a lifetime. Young Sean and I spilt from the rest of the walkers at the front. After 14miles of a combination of running/walking the canal path was finished and this left us with about 4 miles to go. Sean and I turned down in to Camleon and by this stage we were in a bit of pain. My legs were starting to get tight and my feet starting to blister. After a mile in Camleon we hit Larbert and reached our finishing point for day 1.

Day 2 started with much the same breakfast but this time I had two mars bars. I had to store up all my energy because I was planning to run the whole 2nd stage from Larbert to Lochgelly (25mile).

So I was off to the start line where Mark Cameron handed out day two’s route cards. Once everyone had rolled out of bed and had made it to the start line we were off again.

Sean and I took to the front and started to run. With legs still a little tight we took it easy for the first 6 miles. It was really hard going but we made it to Kincardine bridge. This gave us a lift to know that we were heading into Fife. So over the bridge and down the steps onto the coastal path we went.

David Potter welcomed us to fife. Along through Low Vallyfield, onwards to Torryburn and into Cairneyhill. My legs where starting to hurt but I knew in the back of my head we only had 2 hours left to go and we would be in Lochgelly. Sean and I pushed on through Crossford and onto Dunfermline.

We stopped for some refreshments in hill of Beath before we made the last leg of the journey to Lochgelly. From hill of Beath to Lochgelly is 5 mile and this was the hardest 5 mile I have ever ran.

Never have I been so glad to see the welcome to Lochgelly sign and it was quite emotional as Sean and I made it to Lochgelly town hall. Day 2 done!

The John Thomson dinner/dance. What a fantastic evening we had sharing our stories with the other walkers. It was funny to watch all the walkers limping & all the bizarre movements of them trying to shuffle around the hall. All for a great cause.

Day 3 – Lochgelly to Cardenden. This should have been the easy section of the walk but these 3 miles where extremely difficult. As we walked down Lochgelly into Cardenden I was getting teary eyed. It was very emotional to know that we had completed the same walk hundreds did to pay their respects to the legend John Thomson. All the walkers spent the day watching John Thomson football tournament and I would just like to say well done to all the kids who took part in this great tournament.

After the tournament it was onto Bowhill club for the presentation of the trophies.

It was from the Bowhill club we walked to John’s graveside to pay our the respects . There was small but moving service held.

I would like to personally congratulate Celtic Graves Society and the John Thomson committee for organising a fantastic tribute to John.

Bring on the next years walk. And that canal path I said I never wanted to see again!!